Outdoor Laboratory, Redhills Project Site
Chennai - India
- Samarpan Foundation is setting up an 'outdoor laboratory' on its Redhills’ project site.
- This outdoor laboratory allows students to have a hands-on experience of environmental sciences.
- Currently, students are learning building construction using discarded PET bottle bricks, a column of PET bottles, nylon fishing net and concrete without the conventional steel bars as well as a PET bottle 'honeycombed' wall with non-organic waste packed tightly into the honeycombs.
- Not only does this non-organic waste provide excellent insulation, it also gets rid of prodigious amounts of waste which would otherwise pollute our environment. In addition, this project uses organic compost for farming.
- Instead of merely visiting and observing, the students are encouraged to actively participate in the construction work, farming and other allied activities.