School and Tuition Centre: Kishangarh
Education - New Delhi
D9/150 Kishangarh Village, Vasant Kunj
- Kishangarh Primary School and Tuition Centre is a child-centred community development. We found that in order to transform a child’s life, we also needed to work with the child’s family and community.
- The students come from an urban slum with very poor living conditions where, because basic survival is the order of the day, education had taken a back seat.
- The school serves as a stepping-stone between survival for daily existence and the formal education system. We facilitate the transition of the child, the family and the community in the understanding and acceptance of the formal education system using the tools of love, kindness, gentleness and an empowerment system, which is tailor-made to suit the residents.
- By creating an environment of togetherness with fun and games, learning, love, nutrition and hygiene, we have endeared ourselves to the children, their families and the community. We deliberately created a situation to redirect the child’s energy away from roaming the streets to a system of coming together, through counselling, fun pastimes and awareness programmes.
- Because many children had to stay at home to look after their younger siblings, we started a nursery and crèche at the school so that the babies could be looked after whilst their older siblings attended lessons. This then led to inviting stay-at-home housewives to attend our adult education and empowerment programmes.
School and Tuition Centre
- Caters to 620 students.
- Acts as a bridge by guiding students from basic learning methods to more advanced techniques required by the formal education system.
- Teaches both basic and advanced learning techniques.
- Includes vocational training, talent spotting and creativity development.
- Arranges summer and winter holiday programmes including field trips, sports and art activities together with continued provision of nutritious meals.
- Arranges parent-teacher meetings.
- Organises functions and celebrations of festivals for confidence building through participation.
Facilities and Services
- Distributes 2 meals daily which are part of a specially designed balanced diet as nutrition plays a pivotal role.
- Provides textbooks, notebooks, stationery, schoolbags and summer and winter uniforms.
- Cares for 45 children in the crèche.
- Teaches 60 women in the adult education programme.
- Arranges medical camps/clinics which provide treatment, medicines and specialised medical care for the community.
- To instil values, hope and the confidence to realise dreams.
- To create a thirst for knowledge, and nurture self-respect and respect for others.
- To alleviate poverty through empowerment.
- To create global citizens through breaking down barriers of nationality, religion, caste and creed and emphasising our shared humanity.