Tuition Centre: Chimbel
Education, Nutrition - Goa
Indira Nagar, Chimbel, Tiswadi
- The students hail from a highly congested slum in Chimbel where there is extreme poverty and no sanitation. Living conditions are sub-standard with many families sharing single taps for fresh water.
- The community is extremely conservative. Most men work as daily wage labourers, motorcycle drivers or have small retail businesses. There is widespread gambling, alcoholism, crime and domestic violence.
- The women often work as domestic maids or on construction sites. Higher education for women is not supported and many women are forbidden to work by parents or husbands.
- Provides English lessons, homework assistance and exam preparation for 40 students.
- Provides a daily nutritious meal.
- Distributes schoolbooks.
- Arranges functions and celebrations of festivals with the students and their families.
- To instil values, hope and the confidence to realise dreams.
- To create a thirst for knowledge, and nurture self-respect and respect for others.
- To alleviate poverty through empowerment.
- To create global citizens through breaking down barriers of nationality, religion, caste and creed and emphasising our shared humanity.